Educating yourself does not mean that you were stupid in the first place; it means that you are intelligent enough to know that there is plenty left to 'learn'. -Melanie Joy

Thursday 29 January 2015

Calculating time differences in python

January 29, 2015 Posted by Dinesh , , ,


Recently I had a situation where I need to calculate the timer efficiency.
I have a C++ timer that calls my function after every 5 sec. My function does some critical operation and logs one statement to syslog.
When I observed the logs I found that there is delay in my function execution, slowly the timer started drifting in result and the next function calls are getting delayed !!

So I wanted to calculate how many times the timer has delayed in a day. I grepped for the particular log in my syslog and redirected to a file.

file format is like this:
Jan 29 06:34:24
Jan 29 06:34:29
Jan 29 06:34:34
Jan 29 06:34:39
..
..
Now I should compare the lines in the file and log if the time difference is greater than 5 sec.
compare line 1 with line 2
line 2 with line 3, then line 3 with line 4 and so on...



Here the bad thing is f.readlines() ... It will load whole file in to list and tried to read 2 lines at a time.
If anybody reads this post :P and if you know any better working solution please share. :)